Housing Disrepair

Michael Rose & Baylis are a young, vibrant law firm based in the iconic Liverpool City Centre setting of the Royal Liver Building.

Are you a tenant whose home suffers from damp, mould or is unfit to live in? Is your housing association, landlord or council refusing to help?

Michael Rose & Baylis can help to ensure that your rights as a tenant are supported, working to get you the compensation you deserve and ensuring that your home is repaired and restored. With a wealth of experience in housing disrepair cases, we work to ensure your house is a place you can call home.

How do I know if I can claim?

Under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 and the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018, any social (council, housing association) or private landlord (individual or company) who grants shorthold and secure tenancies are required by law to keep your property in good repair. You are entitled to live in a home where you feel sheltered, stress-free and secure.

If you have complained to your landlord for more than 6 months, have been renting the property for over 12 months, have little or no rental arrears, have not withheld any rental payments, and have various rooms in disrepair across a number of rooms in the property, then you could be entitled to claim.

What repairs could your landlord be responsible for?

  • Ensuring the property is structurally sound and safe to live in (e.g. subsidence issues)
  • Making sure that your home is free from damp (e.g. cracked brickwork or walls)
  • Installations such as basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences (e.g. broken or unhygienic facilities)
  • Gas pipes and electrical wiring (e.g. tripping electrics, faulty wiring and no heating)
  • Repairs to interior walls and stairs (e.g. cracking or loose plaster and paintwork)
  • Repairs to exterior such as gutters, drains and pipes (e.g. staining to the walls or ceiling)
  • Pest and vermin issues (e.g. rodent infestations)

What am I entitled to claim for?

If you are successful in claiming against your landlord, you will be entitled to compensation, although this will depend on the nature and seriousness of the issues reported, as well as how long you have been living in the property and reporting the disrepair.

If you have evidence of damage to your personal belongings or impact on your personal health (for example, if you have attended your GP or been hospitalised due to disrepair in the home) then you can also claim for the costs of redecoration and personal harm to which you have been subjected.

How much will it cost?

At Michael Rose & Baylis, we want to make the experience of working with us as stress-free as possible, which is why our housing disrepair lawyers offer a variety of funding options. We’re always up-front about the costs involved and often take on cases on a No Win, No Fee basis. You may also be entitled to help with legal fees if you are in receipt of government benefits.

What is No Win, No Fee funding?

We act on a No Win, No Fee basis with an after-the-event insurance policy (payable only if your claim is successful and at the end of the claim, out of your damages). This ensures that there is no requirement for you to pay up-front costs.

The insurance premium guarantees, provided that you have cooperated with us and given a truthful, honest account, that you will not be charged in the event that your claim is unsuccessful.

If you are successful, then your landlord will contribute to your legal costs. We will deduct the cost of the insurance and 25% plus VAT (commonly known as a success fee) which is a repayment for the risk taken by the firm that the claim may not be successful.

You have a 14 day cooling off period if you change your mind, but if you decide to cancel proceedings after this 14 day period, the firm retains the right to charge for the work carried out up to the date of cancellation.

How long will my claim take?

Your landlord is required to respond within 20 days of receiving our letter, and we hope to settle claims within 6-9 months. However, depending on the behaviour of the landlord and the client, it may take longer.

If necessary, we will instruct a surveyor to assess the damage to the property. This fee will be payable by your landlord should your claim be successful. In order for a claim to be valid, any repairs must be over the value of £1,000. This damage will be assessed by the surveyor if your landlord has not done so already.

If the case goes to court, it is likely to take longer. However, we will keep you fully updated throughout the life of the claim, with regard to expected next steps and timeframes.

Can I be evicted?

Once a complaint has been received by your landlord, any attempt at eviction is not permitted. It is highly unlikely that this will happen. However, it is important that you notify us immediately so that we can assist.

Why choose Michael Rose & Baylis?

As an experienced, longstanding law firm, our highly qualified team of solicitors have a vast knowledge in dealing with cases of housing disrepair. Our aim is to ensure that your landlord restores your home to its original state, and we always work hard to deliver the best results for our clients.

What happens next?

Get in touch with our specialist housing disrepair team on 0151 958 0358 or email us on litigation@mrblaw.co.uk, enclosing pictures of the disrepair and your contact details to allow us to undertake a free assessment.



Enter your details below and a member of our team will get back to you at your preferred time.



Enter your details below and a member of our team will get back to you as soon as possible.

  • 1 What Type of Advice You Are Looking For?

    Family LawTenant EvictionHousing DisrepairFinancial MissellingCommercial PropertyPersonal InjuryConveyancingImmigration
  • 2 What Type of Advice You Are Looking For?

    Divorce / DissolutionFinancesChild LawSeperation AgreementsDomestic Abuse
  • 3 Do You Own a Home Together?

  • 2How Much Are You Owed?

  • 3How can we contact you?

Request a Callback