Child Law

The court can determine a number of decisions about children, including where they live, the terms of their contact with parents or other guardians, and who can make important decisions on their behalf.

Get Started Today

We respect your privacy. For more information please see the MRB privacy policy

What can the court do?

The court will not interfere with arrangements made between parents, which are suitable and do not raise any welfare concerns. If, however, the parents are not able to agree on such matters, there are a number of difficult orders that the court can make, including:

  • Child Arrangements Order – to state where a child lives and when a child gets to spend time with their parents
  • Specific Issue Order – to determine a specific concern. For example, which school a child should attend
  • Prohibited Steps Order – to prevent a certain action. For example, whether a child can leave the jurisdiction to go on holiday
  • Parental Responsibility Order – to grant Parental Responsibility to a parent or guardian, allowing them to make decisions about a child

The overriding concern for the court is the best interests of a child.


You must attempt mediation before making an application to court, unless you believe that there is a good reason why this course of action would not be appropriate. Michael Rose & Baylis can recommend the services of mediators and provide further details about the court process.

You need specialist and efficient advice when it comes to such an important issue. We understand how important resolving Child Law matters are and always endeavour to provide our clients with the guidance and support that they need.



Enter your details below and a member of our team will get back to you at your preferred time.



Enter your details below and a member of our team will get back to you as soon as possible.

  • 1 What Type of Advice You Are Looking For?

    Family LawTenant EvictionHousing DisrepairFinancial MissellingCommercial PropertyPersonal InjuryConveyancingImmigration
  • 2 What Type of Advice You Are Looking For?

    Divorce / DissolutionFinancesChild LawSeperation AgreementsDomestic Abuse
  • 3 Do You Own a Home Together?

  • 2How Much Are You Owed?

  • 3How can we contact you?

Request a Callback